root+tar's '--same-owner --preserve' options

marty marty at goodoldmarty.com
Sun Mar 9 13:28:57 PDT 2008

>>  This patch adds --disable-default-root-preserve to Tar, so root will not
>>  preserve file modes or ownership by default. The --same-owner and --preserve
>>  options still work. Root's umask is used by default.

Does that mean that when I tar up /var/log or /var/spool all of the existing
permissions will end up going down the tubes unless I specify otherwise? Really
bad idea methinks. Tar is a backup program and preserving existing file modes
and permissions is an essential component. Why mess with perfection?

You can safely achieve the same results with a wrapper script called "untar"
which would pass the arguments and desired flags to tar. I think...

Marty B.
--
Putting Microsoft in a computer is like putting screen doors in a submarine.
Hopeless.