Goals

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 6 20:05:15 PST 2008

Hi.

I need goals for 1.0. A democratic (more than three people) vote on what to
do, and why. I'm a soldier, not a general. I need a roadmap.

Before 1.0 I'd like to do some auditing effort, such as checking how each
package handles temp files, and how each package opens files with
permissions, and document it. Small things, that nowdays need to be done.

I have been trying to get better at stabilization, while trying to diversify
hlfs at the same time. I have no doubt in my efforts will continue, but I am
concerned with the reputation of hlfs. I'm losing count of how many years
have gone by.

The LFS project has been very generous in hosting this project, and I have
always believed it is worthwhile, but the scope of this project is quite
broad and some definitions should be set. Goals for 2.0 and 1.0 should
probably be set at the same time, to help contain the scope of 1.0. I would
like 1.0 to be as broad as possible, such as featuring more than the
toolchain.

Please feel free to comment.