garbage

marty marty at goodoldmarty.com
Fri Jun 6 05:27:29 PDT 2008

> I disagree with your premise. man pages are useful, especially if you install an uncommon version of a command (e.g. busybox). I'm not convinced about locales and non-English documentation, but support for Unicode on the command line might be handy if I can get dig compiled with IDN support. Of course, I'm not building a server for my own use. I'm working on an appliance that my company can offer for sale. Chris Buxton Professional Services Men & Mice On Jun 5, 2008, at 3:03 PM, marty wrote:
>> > Ah, gotta love it. Stupidy.
>> >
>> > checking how to build HTML documentation... not built
>> > configure: error: cannot build HTML documentation
>> > BARF...
>> > ./configure --drop-the-friggin-docs

Don't misunderstand my point.
Man pages are useful, but they don't have any place on the production equipment.
I certainly don't want docs, man, groff, texinfo, locales, or even a toolchain
on my gateway appliance,(which runs embedded off a small CF and has no IP's).

It is very hard to remove all those things cleanly, once they find their way
into the build. Better to  nip them in the beginning, with a optional global
setting.

The real problem is how they have become dependencies(above error). I fixed sed
with --disable-html, but gcc must be modified to install without texinfo.
Removing locales, charmaps, language bindings, would probably trash glibc.

This leaves me with the option of using other libs, which may not build right on
our compiler, may not work right with PAX, and may cost me hours of problems.
It's a conspiracy.

Marty B.
--
Building a better mousetrap only results in better mice. C. Darwin