memory scrubbing

For All My Junk Mail junk_mail at irishbroadband.net
Tue Jan 29 01:47:34 PST 2008

Robert Connolly wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've noticed that when I start Xorg I see a screenshot of my previous Xorg
> session. This survives a reboot. It looks like the memory just becomes free
> when Xorg is shut down, and the image stays there until it's overwritten.
>
> Are any of you familiar with ways to scrub this memory, and any other memory,
> during a shutdown?

Change your memory, motherboard, or power supply for normal stuff or
make sure the box is actually being powered down. The box switching
itself "off" ( halt -p) actually leaves at least one live voltage rail
powered internally. Remember all those stupid "Wake up on ..." options
in your bios? Something has to be live.
If you're running HLFS, your kernel is not moving X around. I thought
all these programs were to be hidden where nobody would expect them to
be; -pie or -pic and all that agony one goes through to build HLFS. Back
to the drawing board :-P.

I never have that problem, because I remove mains power. I did have a
memory problem on startup with a microcontroller once and I wrote about
six lines of assembler into a routine to simply write zeroes to the
offending address space. Despite my slothful clock speed (32khz) there
was no noticable delay.

The routine would be quickest if it wrote to memory in  the largest
width available. For 32 bit processors, that would be a 64 bit number.
For _true_ 64 bit cpus, you should write a 128 bit number, which would
still of course be a register pair.

--
For All My Junk Mail <junk_mail at irishbroadband.net>