Seamonkey & possibly firefox segfaulting

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:32:03 PST 2008

I have recently discovered the cause (or catalyst) in why I would have
seamonkey (& possibly firefox) segfault on startup when not run as
root.

As it turns out, strip --strip-debug on the seamonkey directory, like
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/, is the cause.
Something about strip --strip-debug is not safe on seamonkey.

I am not certain if this is uClibc specific and not specific to
anything that is going on in a hardened system.

I know that the libs that seamonkey uses are not the cause, given that
I just tested stripping debug from everything on the system except
Seamonkey and Seamonkey works when run as not root.

For me, I can consistently reproduce this without fail, but can
anybody else reproduce this?

--
Kevin Day