libcap

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 18 21:05:27 PST 2008

Does anyone have objections to adding libcap and attr?

Coreutils supports attr without patches, but file capabilities depends on
Linux drivers marked as "experimental". Also depends on ext2/3/4 or reiserfs
or xfs, but I doubt that will be a problem for anyone here. I think using the
BLFS wiki is the best way to deal with libcap support for ntpd, gnupg, etc.
Now that Libcap is under development again, BLFS might want to add it to the
book later on.

This is lighter weight than grsecurity access controls and can easily be used
by everyone. I also have plans for adding grsecurity rules to sysklogd, in
the book, but that's a different story.