tests in 5.9. cocoon toolchain

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 12 16:05:21 PST 2008

On Tuesday February 12 2008 11:20:57 am Petr Cerny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit confused by the section of important tests in 5.9.
> (Version SVN-20080118) - should:
>
> $gcc -o strcat-overflow strcat-overflow.c -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
>
> really produce stack-smashing-protected binary (as indicated by stated
> output)? I'd rather expect it producing a non-protected program, which
> is exactly what happens for my build (not by-the-book as I'm trying
> x86-64).

The -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE does not disable stack protection. If the program does a
segmentation fault then ssp isn't on by default for you. Retry
with -fstack-protector-all just to see if it works. I don't think you applied
the gcc-fstack_protector patch. The ssp patch should work for every
architecture (the fpie patch probably doesn't work for x86-64).