GCC 4.3.2 dynamic specs file

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 12:30:03 PST 2008

I've recently tried gcc 4.3.2 against uClibc (0.9.28.3).

I remember Robert supplying a specs_x86 patch for the gcc-4.1 series,
so I decided to port as much of it over to gcc-4.3.
While I was doing it, I just could not help but get annoyed at the
unportability of gcc's concept of hard coding this stuff in.
So, I decided to make an initial attempt at removing some of the hard coding.

I started with Robert's specs_x86 patch and tweaked or changed from there on.
The following configure options are supplied by the new patch I made:
--with-dynamic-linker-prefix=
--with-nostdinc

This has been applied to all architectures I could find and should
therefore be portable.

Previously, with Roberts patch the --with-dynamic-linker= would have
to be something like: --with-dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0
With my patch it gets broken up into: --with-dynamic-linker-prefix=/lib

The ideal situation is to also have the --with-dynamic-linker command:
During the toolchain build stage this would be :
--with-dynamic-linker-prefix=/tools/lib
--with-dynamic-linker=ld-uClibc.so.0 --with-nostdinc
and for the glibc: --with-dynamic-linker-prefix=/tools/lib
--with-dynamic-linker=ld-linux.so.2 --with-nostdinc

But for the moment, there are still sticky cases where both ld.so and
ld64.so are supplied.
I would rather confirm the stability of the current patch before
adding the --with-dynamic-linker= option

Let me know if and where I should send the patch for viewing.

Thoughts, opinions, criticism, decisions, anyone?

--
Kevin Day