Onward branch

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 25 22:40:42 PDT 2008

I'm planning to start a new branch (like Neo), in plain text, named Onward.
Before hlfs was xml it was in text, and pages worked as shell scripts. The
pages can be read, or run as shell scripts, to install packages. I'm sure
there is a way to convert the plain text book into simple html, wiki, or
whatever.

Furthermore, the chroot system will be replaced by a reboot. This will
eliminate host system requirements for the final system... Glibc test suites
will all pass, livecd maintenance can be covered by the temporary system,
kernel version and capabilities module would not be an issue on the final
host system, the host of the final system can be trusted, etc. An html viewer
(web browser) will not be needed because the book is usable as shell scripts.
The 'more' program is enough to read the book, but users can certainly
install whatever text file reader they choose to /tools. An sshd daemon
(dropbear) will be needed in the temporary system for remote installs. Boot
scripts will need some modifications to use /tools/bin. A second reboot will
not be strictly needed.

This new build system will need a lot of testing, but I feel this system is
necessary to escape some of the issues with hlfs's dependencies.

This new branch will be glibc with linux26. I think all hope of using linux24
is lost, unless we downgrade to glibc-2.3.6. uClibc will be returned asap,
but it may take a while.

The combined toolchain will probably be dropped, because it doesn't always
work... gcc and binutils need to share compatible libiberty libraries, among
other things, or else they won't build in the same tree. The combined tree
build method is very nice, but it is not flexable enough yet. I want to bump
to binutils-2.18, but that doesn't work in a combined tree with gcc-4.1.2.

In general, I'm trying to freeze development of new things, to get a stable
hlfs book, but I keep finding juicy modifications that I excuse as bug fixes.