Shadow 4.1 series

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 17 00:19:02 PDT 2008

I did a feature request, and emailed the shadow mailing list, including a new
patch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/new/shadow-openssl/pkg-shadow-openssl9.diff
adding openssl for des and md5. I don't know how to add sha*, but surely
someone else does. In my email I also mentioned using openssl's
RAND_pseudo_bytes() for password salt, because it's non-alphanumeric and much
less predictable than gettimeofday+getpid (I'm getting tired of fixing what
people think is entropy).

As for bcrypt, I'm stumbled on how to help with this. If Shadow accepts the
openssl addition, then I'll bug them about adding sha1 and bcrypt for
compatibility with the bsd's.

robert