Backspace and german umlauts (SVN 20080603)

Joerg lfs at opascc.de
Tue Aug 12 02:04:35 PDT 2008

Hello,

I have problems with german umlauts on my HLFS SVN 20080603. Independent
from the keymap I use, currently the defkeymap, after typing a umlaut in
bash I can hit backspace twice and the cursor goes one step to far to the
left. This happens for every umlaut I type e.g. 3 umlauts and 6
backspaces.

First I thought it could be a wrong setting for bash, as it is mostly
when backspace does not do what it is expected. But umlauts also mangle up
my login screen. After entering an umlaut hitting the backspace results in
three little squares with a question mark in it and the login screen is no
longer usable.

I´m working on console and backspace works properly when no umlauts were
entered.

For all non german keyboard users: Hit 0252 with ALT-pressed and active
NUMLOCK to receive a nice umlaut.

My HLFS is built strictly after the SVN-20080603 book.

Thank you in advance for a little help...

-Joerg