odd output from coreutils 'configure'

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Apr 10 16:55:53 PDT 2008

I'm using the package users scheme, which collects all output (stdout,
stderr, and whatever "3>" is) to files. But during the configure step
for coreutils, it outputs this string to my screen:

*** %n in writable segment detected ***

Here's the complete output from my somewhat improved version of the
package user build script:

 > ./build
Unpacking...successful!
Configuring...*** %n in writable segment detected ***
successful!
Building...successful!

I can certainly send the all of the files to the list, if that's
helpful.

BTW: Does anyone know why that's going to screen instead of to my log
files? My output logging function is strongly based on the original
build script commands from the package users hint:

my_execute()
{
   # $1 = what to write to screen
   # $2 = command set name to use in following commands
   echo -n ${1}...
   { ${2}_commands 3>&1 1>&2 2>&3 | tee "$MY_ROOT/${2}.err" ;}
&>"$MY_ROOT/${2}.log"
   test_pipe
}

Chris Buxton