stable status

Robert Baker bobb at netslyder.net
Wed Sep 26 06:37:30 PDT 2007

In theory I agree with your sentiments regarding 2.4 versus 2.6 in terms
of stability. In practice with the deprecation of linuxthreads in the
current revisions of glibc it would seem there is more work to be done.
Freezing what we have now for 2.4 is not feasible. After attempting
builds with 2.5.1, 2.5 (with and without the debian patch), and 2.3.6 I
am thinking 2.3.6 is the way to go. That change alone is going to do a
lot to stabilize the core toolchain. I don't think making HLFS into a
"giant hint" is the way to go because it would be difficult to cover the
hardening process in a better format than what we currently have.

Historically as this conversation has been brought up there is
undoubtedly someone who asks why not 2.6? citing everyone else who
builds their stable products on that kernel. I would agree to some
extent that there is plenty of precedent for using the more current
kernel revisions in a stable manner. Most problematic portions of the
kernel tend to be marked clearly as experimental, and can simply be
avoided. It is also worth mentioning nearly everyone who uses 2.6 in
their stable products is using heavily patched versions of the kernel
not vanilla versions. For that and several other reasons including 2.6
would increase the need for a maintainer, but it would assuage some of
the sentiment that HLFS stable would be behind the times.

Nevertheless I do believe arriving at HLFS stable-1.0 is an important
milestone that would help to encourage the further development of the
project.

RBaker