stable status

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 25 21:31:52 PDT 2007

Hello. I'd like to hear opinions about the status of the -stable release. I'd
really be nice to have a stable release, and I think it would exclude the
uClibc book. Historically the Glibc book has always been fairly unstable, but
usable. uClibc itself, and ports for it, has kept the uClibc book from
becoming stabilized.

I've jotted notes for a stable release goals on the wiki, but these can be
changed. The Glibc book isn't in bad shape, and before replacing Shadow with
Shadow-ssl it might be worth it to produce a stable release which lacks the
OpenSSL package and focuses mainly on toolchain modifications (default
CFLAGS). A major change to the -stable book change, compared to -unstable,
would be documentation of it's logic. It should be standalone, whereas
the -unstable book is often documented on this mailing list.

The variable here is the goals for HLFS-1.0. Either keep plowing ahead, or
settle down and use what we have.

A long time ago I decided the stable release will be maintained indefinitely
by bug fix patches. This is a project in itself, and should have it's own
dedicated maintainer. Meaning that whatever packages are in the -stable book
will be maintained on www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/hlfs/stable/ with updated
bugfix patches which add no new features and only security fixes. The only
way I see this happening is with the linux-2.4 kernel, because the linux-2.6
kernel demands modifications to userland for modifications from the new
kernel (new Udev, etc).

I've never been able to think a lot about -stable because I never stop finding
more things to modify for security and uniformity. After all the work done
to -unstable, it would be a shame to have a simple toolchain modification
book for -stable, but focusing on documentation could be the plus.