uclibc

goodoldmarty at gmail.com goodoldmarty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:24:38 PDT 2007

> I'm trying with gcc-4.2.1, binutils-2.18, uclibc-0.9.29, and I'm getting:
>
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
> compiled programs.
> make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

Want my .config? That toolchain combination built for me, using
i386/i386. I left the "board" and "Linux kernel" selections blank, and
empirically discovered the dependencies. There are a lot of things I had
to fudge. I did some ad hoc hacks to fix some things. There are typo's
in buildroot, and download urls are broken. Include "curl" for a peek at
irony.
Despite all the traps, I now have a uClibc/busybox rootfs with complete
toolchain. I will mount, chroot and try to build a kernel with it next.

I also managed to complete a ARM target build for additional punishment.

> use this as the foundation for an HLFS-InstallCD or pendrive (this would be
> much further later on). Perhaps some of you can give notes, like needed
> packages for a minimal iptables firewall, that I can collect.

Maybe 'later on' = next lifetime?
Collect notes? I have configuration files in /etc you can easily have.
The best specific notes are freely available from the owners of each
specific project. That's where I get my guidance. The rest is all beer.

My glibc HLFS servers run fine, and I made simple build scripts for all
the goodies I installed. When I get a hardened HLFS/uClibc system
running I expect to use ALL that stuff unchanged. None of those things
like rescue system, install disk, flash images, firewalls, should be
very hard once we have a good build formula.

For a decent layer 2/3 firewall you really only need basic networking,
bridge-utils, iptables, ebtables, shorewall, and make. The kernel must
be configured with bridging, bonding, and netfilter functions enabled.
Building this is trivial but configuration is like messing with skunks.
(My HLFS/glibc firewall accommodates 2 ISP's simultaneously, with
snort-inline, a forward proxy, a DMZ with reverse proxy, etc. It runs
off a CF disk and uses a small hard drive for logging. No admin GUI yet.

Marty B