uclibc

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 06:58:09 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Robert Connolly <robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:>
> The GCC42 and Binutils-2.18 should be fairly smooth. There haven't been many,
> or any, gcc42 patches that I'm aware of. There are few differences between it
> and gcc41, except more stricter warnings. This upgrade allows us to drop
> about a dozen upstream patches.
I have had bad experience with gcc-4.2.1, but that was under
binutils-2.17 which I know believe to be broken in some way. I will
give gcc-4.2.1 a second try at some point now that I have
binutils-2.18 out.

I also have strong beliefs that uClibc-0.9.29 to be seriously broken.
I have two systems at one point side-by-side, where the only
difference is uClibc-0.9.29 and uClibc-0.9.28.3.  Overall, the
uClibc-0.9.29 systems segfaults and has more random crashes.
I suspect a serious threading regression, but I can't seem to isolate
it to send a bug report.

> I'm going to continue updating the book with non-gcc42/non-binutils2.18 uClibc
> differences to try to unbreak the uclibc-book. When I have all the new gcc42
> patches done, and building, I'll post a non-official book to work out
> regressions.
I am eagerly waiting to see how this turns out!

> Later on, one day, I'd like a chapter for a mini, rescue, or embedded, system
> which lacks the toolchain and extra documentation. With maybe a list of
> packages which need susv3, for example. With general examples of what
> programs are usually not needed. To help implement firewall servers, rescue
> discs (loop-aes style chain booting and pivotroot), mips routers, etc. Often
> these systems are created in a file mounted with a loop device and formated,
> before they're copied to the destination, so needing an additional partition
> should be rarely required. These howto's exist, but I don't like any of them,
> and they tend to be grossly out of touch and out of date (and use stuff
> like 'mkinitrd' which we don't have). I've wanted to make a rescue disc for
> personal use for years, and never got around to it. Stuff like Knoppix works
> great, but is very bloated and works better as a Linux-demo. And then perhaps
> use this as the foundation for an HLFS-InstallCD or pendrive (this would be
> much further later on). Perhaps some of you can give notes, like needed
> packages for a minimal iptables firewall, that I can collect.
>
> robert

If you don't have a rescue cd now, the best I've seen is: http://sysresccd.org/
It has yet to fail me.
The latest version is required for NTFS, given that Vista violates its
own NTFS standard and a kernel of 2.6.22 or later is required to
support safe Vista-NTFS support.

You can also use their packages as an example.
Their Live-CD is only 126-MB so an exact package to package match
should result in a much smaller system given uClibc vs glibc size
differences: http://sysresccd.org/Detailed-packages-list.

Of course, I do not know what libc they are using so it may in fact be
a uClibc or other embeddable/non-glibc libc.

--
Kevin Day