2.4/uClibc

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 11 00:00:46 PDT 2007

There's a couple problems with the uClibc build. I can't remember if the
libssp stuff was all fixed.

The biggest problem is segmentation faults when uClibc is built with any
optimization (-Os, -O1, -O2, -O3). SSP causes some of the crashes, and static
linking causes other crashes. I reproduced it with gcc41 and gcc42, I can't
remember if I tried gcc34. I reported it to the uClibc mailing list, but I
seem to be the only one with this problem. I wanted to try a buildroot with
gcc41, and see if linking to libssp and static linking was a problem there.
If buildroot works, then the bug can be narrowed down. It could be a bug with
uClibc, GCC, Binutils, or something else. The only workaround I have is to
build uClibc with -O. I put it aside to get the Glibc build working better.
GDB says the crash is coming from libc/ld.so, but I don't know enough about
debugging to say more than that.

In addition to this, there will be a handfull of other issues, like
adding -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE when building uClibc itself. Some of the chapter 6
applications might need uClibc patches (sometimes they do), but I never got
that far to find out.

The last time the uClibc book worked well was with gcc34 and uClibc-0.9.28, I
think.

robert