journal

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 3 20:26:47 PDT 2007

In general you need pretty much all -dev packages. But there are exceptions
when it comes to distributions using 5 year old packages with 40 backported
patches and modifications. It works for them, but may not work well when
building a vanilla system.

HLFS, currently, is vanilla with the exception of compiler options and some
backports, but this may change one day (shadow-ssl). Modifications, like
arc4random, are keep separated whenever possible so they're optional. I don't
intend to ever lose compatibility with LFS. Patches add bug fixes, or
security enhancements, while distributions can add all of the above plus
performance, gui, and usability patches.

When HLFS first started it was just compiler options, and recently is adding
unofficial patches for hardening. But more often than not package maintainers
are willing to integrate these in to their package.

With all these complications, for the sake of developing HLFS, we found it's
best to only be compatible with LFS as a host system. Otherwise the hour
spent on finding out why Glibc doesn't build under Suse could be spent on
hardening Glibc (for example).

robert