bug?

goodoldmarty at gmail.com goodoldmarty at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 06:40:16 PDT 2007

>> I have a bug in something. (perhaps bash)
>>
>> Sporadically environmental values will disappear while building from a
>> script. The build breaks because the system suddenly gets lost.
>> I get the following message and my prompt lacks pwd:
>>
>> chdir: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
>> directories: No such file or directory
>> root at SVN-20071022:..#
>>
>> This is not repeatable, and a reboot clears the corruption and returns
>> things to normal.

> I saw the same last week.
> But it was on a 2.4 kernel with older packages.
> I suspect it could be related to a tar zxf failure when there is no more space
> available on a partition (in my case, it was on the root partition on a test
> machine with the partition almost filled to test such cases ).
>
> Did it happen to you too after a failed tar?
>
> Gilles

Lots of disk and only failed tar's were from my paths in the scripts or
from the system getting lost. This seems more related to bash history.
My history file was not wrapping properly. The latest commands I give
are not there. Only the commands from scripts that had run. I wondered
if it was overflowing and affecting the environment somehow. history -c
worked for a while. I doubled hist size and rebuilt bash. May buy me
some time. If this problem returns I will stop and try to track it down.
I'm trying to build X11 during all this but my heart just isn't in it.
What a bloated mess X is. In the end, after 6 tries, all the drivers
still have undefined symbols. Making me crazy.

Marty B