bug?

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Fri Oct 26 09:17:28 PDT 2007

Selon goodoldmarty at gmail.com:

> I have a bug in something. (perhaps bash)
>
> Sporadically environmental values will disappear while building from a
> script. The build breaks because the system suddenly gets lost.
> I get the following message and my prompt lacks pwd:
>
> chdir: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories: No such file or directory
> root at SVN-20071022:..#
>
> This is not repeatable, and a reboot clears the corruption and returns
> things to normal.
>
> Marty B

I saw the same last week.
But it was on a 2.4 kernel with older packages.
I suspect it could be related to a tar zxf failure when there is no more space
available on a partition (in my case, it was on the root partition on a test
machine with the partition almost filled to test such cases ).

Did it happen to you too after a failed tar?

Gilles