embryo

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 21 17:05:04 PST 2007

The march=i486 is for Glibc. -march/mtune=i586, and -march/mtune=i686 are all
prone to produce extra test suite failures. I'm not sure if it's a problem
with the test suite, or the library. I don't think Glibc will have more or
less features based on the march=.

There was recent discussion on the lfs-dev mailing list about
the --enable-kernel option. It sounds like if you use --enable-kernel=2.6.0
then all newer features are still enabled, but there's a libc version if the
running kernel doesn't have the new feature. If you
use --enable-kernel=2.6.23 then the libc versions of supported kernel
features are not added to the library, and there would be failures if you
ever run an older kernel. I haven't checked this out, but if this is correct
then I'm partial to keep using --enable-kernel=2.6.0 so the library is more
robust, at the expense of some performance. Another option is to
remove --enable-kernel and use the default 2.0.

robert