openssl libs problem

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 27 15:50:07 PDT 2007

On Sunday May 27 2007 10:05:01 am Jaap Struyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After my disk on my old (2 years) hlfs system died I decided to build a
> fresh one based on svn-20070523 but I run into some problems with the
> ssl libs.
> When starting any ssl linked app with my grsec/pax enabled kernel I get:
> libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot enable executable stack as shared object
> requires.
> I copied my kernel config from my old machine, is there something that
> has to be changed in the pax options or did I mis something while
> building openssl?
> --
> Groetjes Japie

It's odd. I got a lot of google hits on this, it's a know problem with
selinux. I'm not sure why I haven't noticed it before. Try to build openssl
with:
make MANDIR=/usr/share/man AS="gcc -c -Wa,--noexecstack"

If that doesn't work, try to configure with 'no-asm'.

Both of these remove the execstack mark from my libcrypto.so.

OpenSSL doesn't do the marking on it's own, from what I can see. Binutils is
doing it for some reason.