syslogd build error

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 27 20:06:09 PDT 2007

Robert,
  With a little hand-holding I was able to convince jhalfs to build most
of HLFS/glibc. At the moment I have bumped into the following errors
when I reach syslogd. (This build is with 2.6.20.4 and the associated
grsecurity patch.)  Does the following trace ring any bells?

gcc -DFORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -O3 -DSYSV -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall
-fno-strength-reduce -DALLOW_KERNEL_LOGGING -c sysl
syslog.c:85: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before
numeric constant

syslog.c:86: error: conflicting types for '__syslog_chk'

/usr/include/bits/syslog.h:26: error: previous declaration of
'__syslog_chk' was here

syslog.c:95: error: expected ')' before numeric constant

syslog.c:99: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token

make[1]: *** [syslog.o] Error 1