Install Vim to /bin?

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 10 07:54:15 PST 2007

Its maybe possible to do something like:

./configure --with-features=tiny --disable-nls \
  --with-vim-name=vim.tiny --with-ex-name=ex.tiny \
  --with-view-name=view.tiny --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin

with Vim. It will install the 'xxd' (hexdump) program to /bin, while a normal
installation will install a second 'xxd' to /usr/bin. share/vim/vim70/ is
still 17MB, so there's no help there, but vim itself will be about seven
times smaller. The tiny version of Vim doesn't link to libdl.so.

Also, at:
http://www.bostic.com/vi/
is the Berkeley version of the Vi editor. Its installed as 'nvi'.

And then there's Elvis:
ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/elvis/README.html

Elvis is about the size of vim.tiny, but seems to have dns support too (its
linked to libresolv.so).

I don't really like the idea of installing two editors of the same clone, but
personally Elvis is fine for me because I don't use the extra features of
Vim. I'm not sure how comprehensive Elvis' native language support is, but I
am able to read/write some utf8 characters with it. There are no patches
against Elvis since 2003, so I'm assuming it's fairly stable.

robert