Current HLFS build

Charity charity at orlandotelco.net
Mon Feb 5 06:33:11 PST 2007

I got all the way through chapter 6 with only a few hang ups.

Sed compiled with sed-4.1.5-fixes-1.patch builds cleanly, passes all
tests, but has very odd behavior. At first, it could not operate on
files that were not in the same directory if you used the -i.orig
option. It errored out with "Cannot rename directory. Directly not
empty." or something of that nature unless you used the -e switch as
well. I somehow lost that bug in the process of recompiling and
installing again, but even after that. If you used the -i.orig option,
it would do the substitution correctly, but you would end up with an
excess file. Say you tried sed 's/test/pass/' -i.orig test/try.1 that
only contained the word test. It would do the expected substitution, but
there would be a new file called tes in the current directory that would
be a duplicate of test/try.1 that also said pass. I didn't really like
the buggy nature and reinstalled without the patch.

gmp and mpfr are supposedly required for building gcc. It actually
builds without it, but I decided to go ahead and install those packages
prior to the gcc build.

You cannot run the gcc testsuite without autogen which requires guile
which requires mpfr and gmp. I finally got autogen working, but make
sure you build guile with thread support or autogen won't even compile.
I didn't manage to figure everything out until automake, autoconf and
libtool were all installed in chapter 6, so I didn't get a chance to run
the gcc testsuite anyway.

perl claimed gethostbyaddr didn't work. I did not have time to research
this and it was the only perl test that failed. I did have /etc/hosts
with 127.0.0.1 localhost livecd

udev had to be updated. I used udev-105

I used the most recent kernel 2.6.19.2 and had to update the grsecurity
patch for it. After that, I got stuck because of the incorrect assert
defines described elsewhere in this list. :) Starting over again. This
time I will get the gcc test working so that I can actually test it
before the install.

I had a lot of packages that I couldn't compile with -Werror enabled
because of warn_unused_result attributes for write, printf, scanf, etc.

There was one other patch that I had to update, but I forget for what.
It's in the LFS patches archive. When compiling development books,
should remind myself to always search the patch archive for newer
patches. I'm going to write down the steps this time because I pretty
much have an idea of what works now. Would anyone be interested in a
detailed posting? I'm just wondering if compiling the toolchain as one
unit has ever worked for anyone. If it hasn't, maybe the structure
should go back to headers-binutils-gcc again?

Charity