HLFS 64bit again

ericj ericj at ericj.net
Fri Dec 28 04:41:45 PST 2007

I am top posting here because there was nothing worthwhile to respond to
below. I don't ordinarily use Wikipedia as a source, but this is
actually a reasonably good article on a simple-to-understand (for most
people) concept.

Read it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Read the Architecture overview section of this:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24592.PDF

64-bit general purpose registers, 64-bit address space -- that sounds
pretty 64-bit to me.

Note that there is no mention whatsoever about multiple cores. AMD was
producing 64 bit cores for quite a while - I believe over a year, but I
don't recall - before they produced anything with multiple cores.

The two concepts have nothing to do with each other.

The 64 bit instruction set in AMD64 (and the Intel version) is not
emulated. I don't have any idea where you got that idea, but it is
wrong. Many of the other things you say on this list appear to have
value, but everything you say has to be weighed in the context of this
error.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 03:32:03 -0500, goodoldmarty wrote