uClibc-0.9.29 with glibc host system, compile time problem

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 21:04:49 PST 2007

I am still using the old non-embryo compile time method, so you may
have avoided this problem; however, I am presenting this as a note for
anybody suffering from this problem.

The problem is simply, gcc (4.1.2 is what I am working with) does not
want to compile properly, in fact it segfaults while under
uClibc-0.9.29, before I can reach the adjust toolchain stage.

This means that everything is building in  some way that could be
thought of as "infected by glibc".

No matter how I compile it, gcc finds some spot to segfault during the
build process.

I am testing this on two very similar architectures in parallel (both
are 64-bit AMDs running in 32-bit mode), with one under an existing
uClibc build and another under a glibc build.

The uClibc host shows no problems whatsoever compiling the toolchain.

Changing ONLY the uClibc to 0.9.28.3, with as similar uClibc configs
as I can possibly get on the glibc host, the toolchain compiles
cleanly as well.

The only time there is every any problem building a temporary
toolchain from a glibc host with uClibc-0.9.29.

I then experimented with building the first stage under
uClibc-0.9.28.3, which works on the host, and then after the first
stage is completely installed and the adjust toolchain occurs, compile
uClibc-0.9.29.

This seems to have worked.

Second Stage = uClibc-0.9.29, and now things built against 0.9.29
should not segfault, such as gcc and binutils.

--
Kevin Day