HLFS 64bit again

Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. rogelio at smsglobal.net
Tue Dec 11 06:51:42 PST 2007

goodoldmarty at gmail.com wrote:
> > Does it make sense to do that? PAE is not my favorite feature at all.
> > 64gb on a 32 bit arch is really a bad kludge. Its an unpopular feature
> > in linux already.
>
> You tell me. Anyone knows data fetches from memory, even using PAE are
> way faster than hitting a disk. No, the code is not efficient, but the
But slower than just not doing PAE at all. Its almost like expanded
memory all over again. Do you have any idea how a big pain in the ass
that is?

32 bit is really a very useful architecture because its so cheap
nowadays. It still has a lot of steam left. My favorite toy right now is
actually a 1.2 ghz pentium m with 1 gb ddr2 memory.

> same trick was done when 8 bit moved to 16, and 16 to 32, and is still
> done in all the 64 bit instructions today.
> Abstracting 2 discrete 32 bit CPU's to make 1 64 bit CPU is also just
> another kludge. The purpose is not related to performance. The purpose
> is to provide a migration path for marketing the first generation of
> real 64 bit processors. Without a codebase they have absolutely no
> market for their new chips.
Where did you get this?

Im not sure if you know what you are talking about.

--
Democracy is about two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.