HLFS 64bit again

Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. rogelio at smsglobal.net
Mon Dec 10 03:10:55 PST 2007

goodoldmarty at gmail.com wrote:
> > Really? Try using 16 GB memory in a 32 bit system. Linus said that if
> > you want big memory machines use 64 bit processors.
>
> Yes, really.
>
> That quote of Linus is painfully out of context. Should we also assume
> he was referring to HLFS?

It is in context because big memory and security is not exclusive. So
for me at least its in context.
> You do not need to build a 64 bit hardened toolchain to access 16G of
> memory on a 32 bit system. 64Gb of memory addressing has been available
> in Linux since 2.6.0  Opteron and Xeon are still dual 32 bit processors,
> and my new Intel quad-core is not a 128 bit processor either.
Does it make sense to do that? PAE is not my favorite feature at all.
64gb on a 32 bit arch is really a bad kludge. Its an unpopular feature
in linux already.

What are you using on your quad core? 32 bit linux and 32 bit userspace?
> Static, multi-threaded tweaked assembler binaries from the $(XXX)
> toolchain are much faster than what GCC can produce with -m64 on HLFS.
I like static binaries too because i think static binaries allow more
aggressive optimizations. whether there are security enhancements or
not. although gcc dont do those yet.

> HLFS kills performance with extra overhead like SSP and dynamic linking.
> Add GRsecurity and PAX for enen more unwanted annoyances.

Its a necessity for me. Look i encrypt my hard disk and use heavily
encrypted peer to peer and friend to friend networks. This email is
signed pgp. Im paranoid.

Amd 64 at least makes PIE executables more efficient than on x86. And it
has nx. Thats gives a big boost to pax.  and since the bandwidths on
x86_64 are much higher than on the x86  i think there is a net gain in
performance compared to x86 with pax.
> This gets down to the choice is between security hardening "OR" high
> performance. Both are highly specialized areas. Pick one.

Totally unacceptable to a lot of people but acceptable to you so thats
where the argument lies. I get it. We agree to disagree.

--
Democracy is about two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.