Bootscript poweroff options

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 18:10:08 PDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 15:25 -0500, Kevin Day wrote:
> > On 8/21/07, Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > At some point in the process of changing kernel/binutils/gcc/uClibc,
> > the poweroff just stopped "powering off" for me.  It would shutdown
> > the harddrive and say your os is off, meanwhile my entire machine and
> > moniter is running, but is unresponsive because the kernel is
> > unloaded. (maybe an initng version ended up breaking this??)
> > This happens on every hardware I try and it pisses me off as I cannot
> > find the fix.  I've swapped versions of binutils, gcc, uclibc, initng,
> > etc..
>
> You're not installing the 'halt' program, and I don't think shutdown
> cute the mustard. The halt program is in the sysinit package (!) and
> poweroff should be a link to it. then halt -p or poweroff perform the
> same function, i.e. call halt with the -p option. When called as
> poweroff, it defaults to halt -p.
>
> What the hell are you playing at with this stuff?
>
> halt -p
> "Usage: shutdown -h" WRONG!
> poweroff
> "Why?" [and it sits there]
> Because I said so you stoopid thing!!
>
>         "...Because I said so you stoopid thing!!..."
>
> :-((. 0/10 here, Kevin
> --
> Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie>

So it seems that the shutdown method of my boot program "initng" does
not work properly, or so this suggests.
initng installs /sbin/shutdown, and symlinks halt to /sbin/shutdown.
I never installed sysvinit considering that I am trying to replace it
(with minor success).
So, It seems that I still might be dependant on sysvinit.
I will try installing sysvinit's halt program, removing /sbin/shutdown
and linking shutdown to /sbin/halt.

--
Kevin Day