Bootscript poweroff options

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed Aug 22 11:59:18 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 10:25 -0500, Bradley Worley wrote:
> it looks like the init script you're referring to
> (/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt, called with the "stop" action from
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/checkfs) uses "halt -d -f -i -p" to poweroff the
> system. seems to me that "halt -f -p" or the former command would do
> the trick...
/Finally reaches the bottom of this:

So it did, with one kernel only of the four or so I had on board.
Comparison of the configs revealed essentially the same set of relevant
options except for
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR was four digits in the successful kernel, and
0 in the only no-poweroff kernel config I had.

Then I found boot options included 'noapic acpi=off' added in times past
to kill issues with the Via Apic giving out the same 2 half-assed irqs
to everything important. Without them nothing useful worked (sound, nic
etc.)

The hlfs kernel only has noapic as the option. It appears newer kernels
don't require that option here any longer, but I had copied it
slavishly.

Removing that on the rest of the systems only left the uclibc setup
which didn't work. It was embarassed for /sbin/halt & poweroff commands
and shutdown -h wouldn't cut it out.

--
        With Best Regards

        Declan Moriarty