Bootscript poweroff options

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:25:28 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie> wrote:
>         I have one of those dodgy Via boards here which refuses to respond to
> halt, poweroff, shutdown -<anything> etc. But it does respond to
> whatever the bootscripts do when you get a drive error.
At some point in the process of changing kernel/binutils/gcc/uClibc,
the poweroff just stopped "powering off" for me.  It would shutdown
the harddrive and say your os is off, meanwhile my entire machine and
moniter is running, but is unresponsive because the kernel is
unloaded. (maybe an initng version ended up breaking this??)
This happens on every hardware I try and it pisses me off as I cannot
find the fix.  I've swapped versions of binutils, gcc, uclibc, initng,
etc..

> If I fill /etc/fstab with random nonsense, it will fail to mount, and
> power off until I fix it. HOW? That's the question. I did look at the
> scripts, but .... cannot answer that for myself.
Elaborate.
Try to forcefully boot into the os by specifying init=/bin/bash in the
kernel boot line of the grub boot loader.

> Hlfs-20051220, btw very old but quite stable and prehistoric enough to
> dodge all the ugly versions of binutils and gcc around at the moment.
> Life was simpler then.
>
> Any tips welcome - even what script or function is called, and I'll
> examine onboard.
> --
>         With Best Regards
>
>         Declan Moriarty