AW: skunks

Michael Labuschke michael at labuschke.de
Mon Aug 20 00:50:51 PDT 2007

nice !

michael

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: hlfs-dev-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:hlfs-dev-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] Im Auftrag von Robert
Connolly
Gesendet: Montag, 20. August 2007 09:16
An: Hardened LFS Development List
Betreff: skunks

I send this url to lfs-chat, but I'm quite proud of it so I'm sending it
here
too:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/skunks/

These are some photos of skunks I photographed in the last 8 days. I took
about 200 photo's, but many of them turned out poorly because it was dark.

I developed a few rules for skunk observation and photography:

#1 - Never touch a skunk. They generally do not come in contact with other
skunks or animals, and if you touch it then it will flip out. Skunks are the

largest carrier of rabies, and have teeth like a cat. Touching a skunk can
result in not only being sprayed, but a rabies infection too, and a bacteria

infection from the bite.

#2 - Move slowly. Skunks have very poor vision. Try to move when the skunk
is
looking in another direction.

#3 - If a skunk looks you in the eye, they realized how large you are. Your
observations are done with this skunk because they see you as a predator
now.
Take one or two steps backwards away from the skunk,  then stay still. They
should run away on their own, do not pursue them.

The majority of skunks are docile. You can get to within an inch of them if
you do it slowly, and help the skunk realize you're not trying to eat them.

#4 - Never lose situational awareness. Skunks tend to be in the same area,
where they can find food. Skunks hate eachother, and will face off if they
see eachother to claim territory. Before walking backwards, look behind you.

Once per minute look around for other skunks, or other animals, which can
aggravate your skunk. If you see another animal, give yourself some room
from
your skunk (about 2-3 meters/yards).

#5 - Skunks are slow. If you didn't surprise the skunk, then they will give
you warning before they spray you... they will raise their tail, then turn
so
their rear-end is facing you, before spraying. This gives you a good 2-3
seconds to retreat.

Other than that, I love this hobby. I feel like the crocodile hunter.