HLFS-Testing status

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 27 23:35:18 PDT 2006

I think I've reconsidered. The unstable book is quite unstable now, and
there's no end in sight. I think I'd like to help with the stable branch and
leave unstable alone for a bit. I wouldn't mind the change of pace. A stable
branch should be obtainable in a reasonable amount of time.

I preffer the 2.4 kernel branch because no more new features are added to
it... it is stable. Building linux-2.4 with gcc-3.4.6 should not cause any
problems. Linux-2.6 is nicer, but gcc-4 is also nicer.... all development
branches have nice new, and unstable, features. For a stable operating system
we need stable packages, which are also old/mature and boring.

I don't want the stable branch to be high maintenance, as it would be with
_any_ linux-2.6 kernel. Package versions shouldn't change, just occasional
bugfix/security patches. I have always planned to maintain online versions of
the stable book until the next stable release, which then retires the old
stable. The changelog of the release version would be blank, the online
version would have bugfixes which should hopefully only be from upstream for
security/stability issues... but with two exceptions. The linux-2.4 and
gcc-3.4 branches are only bumping versions for bug fixes. These two packages
can change version in the online stable book, because the new version will
not add new features. This way its easier for admins to maintain their
hlfs-stable, allows developers to go back to unstable, and hopefully everyone
is happy.

For the sake of svn history, I think its appropriate to branch -stable
from -unstable, then revert it back to SVN-20060717, and tweak it from there.

For starters, as I see it:

linux-2.4
binutils-2.17 <-- I can't think of any reason to use an older version
gcc-3.4.6 <-- Stable, but it can use the hardened-specs.h file
                     from -unstable.
glibc-2.4 <-- Much of the unstable features are only enabled with
                   linux-2.6. I can't think of any reason to use an older
                   version. With linux-2.4 only linuxthreads can be used.
                   To use gcc-3.4's ssp with glibc-2.4 I think a gcc-4 ssp
                   backport will be needed, and already exists.
shadow <-- This one is touchy. I think 4.0.4.1 is the best version to
                  use, with patches. Whether or not blowfish is added to
                  this in -stable, I don't know.
I think the rest of the package versions in -unstable will be okay in -stable.

BTW, I've been occupied with family this week. I'll try to get back to hlfs
development next week.

robert