HLFS-Testing status

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:23:05 PDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Robert Baker <bobb at netslyder.net> wrote:
> 2. Again I am running 2.6.17.x in a few places on those HLFS boxes, and
> no issues have come out of it.  I have been, and still remain open to
> suggestions on the matter myself.

If you intend to stick with the 2.6.17 series, I suggest backporting
some of the ext3 patches done in the 2.6.18. In particular:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=20acaa18d0c002fec180956f87adeb3f11f635a6
 a 20% degradation is a pretty serious performance hit. At least, I am
of the opinion that losing 20% of a systems performance where all data
is stored (or might be stored) is rather serious.

There are no other serious problems with 2.6.17 that I am aware of.

And with the new features in the 2.6.18 that allows for better
debugging for locks:
http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fbb9ce9530fd9b66096d5187fa6a115d16d9746c
It makes the 2.6.18 kernel tasty for the development hlfs.

--
Kevin Day