cryptodev

Jan Dvořák mordae at thirdcms.org
Sun Sep 17 11:13:41 PDT 2006

Hi again,

>> Fine, done. Would you please try this and tell me what do change? And
> There's something odd with the option handling code. I'll have a look at
> it in a moment, but if I call the program digest.sh and do:
>     touch test; ./digest.sh test
> It says
>     unknown option '-digest.sh'
> and outputs a load of possible options, but each with a single leading
> dash:
>     options are
>     -c              to output the digest with separating colons
>     -d              to output debug info
>     -hex            output as hex dump
>     [...]
>     -ripemd160 to use the ripemd160 message digest algorithm
>       test
>
> However,
>     rm test; ./digest.sh test
> outputs
>     ./digest.sh: test: No such file or directory
>
> Also,
>     touch test-file; ./digest.sh -md5 test-file
> outputs
>     unknown option '-test-file'
> (the reason I tried this was because of the confusing help displayed
> above).
Fixed. I did't expect anyone will call it differently then *sum. List
was generated by `openssl dgst *crap*` and showed it's ugly output. :]

I took care about and only hope openssl's output won't change.

>> another thing, what is the practical difference between --binary and
>> --text options?
>
> AFAIK, nothing but a single character in the output. MD5sum files
> contain an indication of whether the files in question are binary or
> text, because Windows treats them differently.
>
> # touch test
> # md5sum test
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  test
> # md5sum --text test
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  test
> # md5sum --binary test
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e *test
Oh, I see. It was mystery for me, why should I specify --binary in linux.

Get new attached version and if you have some spare time, check it out
again. Thanks.

# EOF