cryptodev

Alex Merry alexander.merry at ccc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 17 10:23:39 PDT 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 17:56, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> Fine, done. Would you please try this and tell me what do change? And

There's something odd with the option handling code. I'll have a look at
it in a moment, but if I call the program digest.sh and do:
    touch test; ./digest.sh test
It says
    unknown option '-digest.sh'
and outputs a load of possible options, but each with a single leading
dash:
    options are
    -c              to output the digest with separating colons
    -d              to output debug info
    -hex            output as hex dump
    [...]
    -ripemd160 to use the ripemd160 message digest algorithm
      test

However,
    rm test; ./digest.sh test
outputs
    ./digest.sh: test: No such file or directory

Also,
    touch test-file; ./digest.sh -md5 test-file
outputs
    unknown option '-test-file'
(the reason I tried this was because of the confusing help displayed
above).

> another thing, what is the practical difference between --binary and
> --text options?

AFAIK, nothing but a single character in the output. MD5sum files
contain an indication of whether the files in question are binary or
text, because Windows treats them differently.

# touch test
# md5sum test
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  test
# md5sum --text test