Status of HLFS project

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 14 17:48:14 PDT 2006

For the TODO list:
Solve testsuite bugs. These are almost always caused by one or more of the
compiler flags, and almost always only affect the testsuite. Glibc has
exceptions to this rule. Add -fno-flags to CC, CFLAGS, and/or
CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET during testsuites.

Compiler warnings often have patches. Fedora and Owl are good places to check.
Fortify_source warnings are really easy to fix, but many packages use their
own error handling, so many of these compiler-warnings patches need to be
personalized for each package and even each file. Then submit the patch to
the official maintainer for criticism or acceptance.

That's enough to get started.

As for the Gzip issue, I'm planning to hire someone to make some small
packages. I'd like a front end to libz and libbz2, with all the typical
gzip/bzip2 features, like zcat and gzexe. The heart of the code will remain
in the libraries, so the front end should have very few maintenance or
security issues. I'd also like lzma.so support later. 'gzip', 'bzip2', etc,
would become symlinks to this package (busybox style). I would also like to
have libaes (http://sourceforge.net/projects/libaes/) support on this
compression front end, so we have file encryption without the overhead of
gnupg. And libaes support for shadow-utils would also be a good idea. I
already have a programmer in mind (the frandom guy). This would take me
months to finish myself, so getting someone else to do it will leave me time
for other things.