Status of HLFS project

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 13 18:37:17 PDT 2006

It's active, but I seem to be the only maintainer and I work 55 hours per
week. There are several things I'd like to complete before a stable
release... stuff like fixing most of the compiler warnings, finding how to
get all the testsuites to pass, auditing the patches. The combination of gcc4
and fortify_source added some bugs that also need to be worked out. Plus I've
been sidetracked with tempfile handling, and sidetracked again with Gzip's
lack of maintenance (by gnu). It came to my attention that netbsd's gzip uses
zlib (and also uses libbz2 for bzip2 decompression support), and I'd like to
have that (I've had good luck porting bsd features to linux and hopefully it
won't stop). There's also a conflict between Owl's texinfo and texinfo-cvs.
Not to mention the lfs utf8 differences.

I'm sorry to say I'm much better being an hlfs-unstable maintainer than
hlfs-stable maintainer. I'd love to have hlfs-stable, but I never stop
finding things to break/fix :-) If releasing hlfs-stable is a priority then
it would be a good idea to create a second branch which removes the
half-working stuff and stabilizes the rest. I honestly don't see an end to
the instability without a second maintainer :-\ For an hlfs-stable, at the
present time, I would suggest something like linux-2.4, glibc-2.4, gcc-3.4,
and binutils-2.17... or even gcc41 without fortify_source. I would also
suggest downgrading some packages, like shadow-utils, and adding bugfix
patches. I'd be happy to help with -stable, but I don't want to
stop -unstable.

robert