compress utilities

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 5 12:12:05 PDT 2006

In: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/compress/
there are copies of gzexe, zdiff, zforce, zmore, and znew shell scripts (from
the Gzip package). Unlike the ones from the Gzip package these are not
particularly portable to some systems, like SysV or SunOS, but they look like
they will work in Linux. They're also actively maintained. The last cvs
commit to the gzexe script added routines to check that we're not compressing
files we need to decompress, like chmod, echo, sh, rm, basename, gzip,
mktemp, and tail, as well as any programs in /bin or /sbin, and also check
for hardlinks to these files. The paths to some of these programs needs to be
altered for Linux, but otherwise the script should work. Several of these
scripts also use mktemp.