kernel panic after build HLFS

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed Jun 21 09:36:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 14:49 +0200, sacarde wrote:

> I have correct file-patch, and now kernel works OK
>
> thankyou
>
> but now, ......... ?
>
> BLFS is the right continuing to HLFS ?
> can I apply BLFS without any changes ?

Except where it barfs :-).

There are a few gotchas to that process. If you have
CONFIG_PAX_NOELFRELOCS  and randomised positioning of executables, then
your executables can land anywhere and are not allowed to move to where
they want to.

This is a problem for: static libraries - The ones ending in .a, but
it's never quite that simple; It is a problem for assembler which has
hard addresses  in the binary. Gentoo-hardened used a check-textrel
script with readelf -d |grep TEXTREL  as the key active line to check
libs and executables.

You have to strictly ban all precompiled code. No downloading of
binaries - suffer with the source.

Expect fun with DRI, Mesa, & multimedia stuff where coders seem less
fussy about form than performance. The hlfs stuff uses the line

CFLAGS += -fpic -fPIC

or somesuch added to Makefiles and it goes on after all the other
CFLAGS. It ensures the options are passed.

When you do barf, don't expect too much help. You're a big boy now :-).
And fix it up, tell us how in one neat mail and we won't flame you :-).

--
        With Best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.