Xorg7.1, uClibc, glx, and mallocretunrsnull

Kevin Day drealin01 at cox.net
Tue Jun 20 12:15:03 PDT 2006

Okay, I have just gone through and installed Xorg 7.1 on my gcc-4.1.1
system.  (temporarily back to non-ssp given the current problems with
libssp)

First of fall, I have a serious problem/regression? with glx.so under
this system.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to go about solving this, so
I am asking for suggestions on what approaches to take to find and
resolve this issue as well as any ideas you people might have.

PROBLEM:
  when I type startx Xorg, the computer freezes.
  I traced the problem to libglx.so under lib/X11/extensions.

  The Xorg log file shows that the last long entry was loading of the
glx.so.
  The monitor blanks and the machine locks so I have to do a
hard-reboot to get back.

  I renamed the libglx.so to libglx.so.was to prevent it from being
found and xorg starts without crashins...just not direct rendering
possible..

  I tried GDB, but GDB gets caught up in the lock as well and helps not
at all.

OTHER XORG RELATED NOTES:
  While going through every single config file in the xorg project I
found a couple of relevant options:

  --enable-malloc0returnsnull (and thus: --disable-malloc0returnsnull)

   This seems to be a way to stop using the malloc returns null glibc
compatibility in uClibc.  Finally, we might be able to safely remove
that support.

  This may be found in the following Xorg-modular projects: libAppleWM
libdmx libFS liboldX libWindowsWM libX11 libXext libXfontcache
libXinerama libXp libXrandr libXrender libXres libXScrnSaver libXt
libXTrap libXv libXvMC libXxf86dga libXxf86misc libXxf86vm

There is also a --disable-secure-rpc that we can use until
uClibc comes out with full secure rpc support.

  This may be found in the following Xorg-modular projects: libX11 xdm
xhost xorg-server