Toolchain upgrades

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 8 15:46:43 PDT 2006

On June 8, 2006 05:01 pm, Michael Labuschke wrote:
> hi robert,
>
> first of all good job on the update thing.
> sadly i  can't get past glibc-headers in ch5.
>
> the configure fails with
>
> checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support... no
> configure: error: Need linker with .init_array/.fini_array support.

I've had this error often, its usually because I forgot something. If your
host is hlfs, try CC="gcc -fno-stack-protector -no-pie". If that's not it,
then I suggest Ken's idea of:

echo "libc_cv_initfini_array=yes" >config.cache

and then configure with an additional '--cache-file=config.cache'

If you're just trying to install headers then you can cheat and do pretty much
anything just to get them installed. Glibc-2.4's configure probably does not
like something about your gcc or binutils (it's picky), but as long as they
indeed work then the rest of the steps should work out okay. Binutils and GCC
are not so picky.