Toolchain upgrades

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 8 15:24:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:01:43PM +0200, Michael Labuschke wrote:

> after what i goggled. this is a binutils/glibc update problem, but how
> can i update glibc when i can't run configure ? ;)

 If you are going to build a suitable binutils against these
headers, do what we have to do in cross-lfs.  Look through
config.log to find where it fails (actually, you might need to check
subdirectories too) then look at the configure script for the line
in question.

 I'm guessing your first failure is at line 5491 which says

  echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for
.preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array
support... $ECHO_C" >&6
if test "${libc_cv_initfini_array+set}" = set; then
  echo $ECHO_N "(cached) $ECHO_C" >&6
else
    cat > conftest.c <<EOF

 The important thing here is the test (a lot easier to read in vim
with highlighting turned on than in a random paste into an email) -
you should be able to get around it with

echo "libc_cv_initfini_array=yes" >config.cache

and then configure with an additional '--cache-file=config.cache'

 You may need to add several different things before it will all
configure, obviously anything else needs '>>config.cache'.

PS - _please_ trim what you are replying to.

Ken