Stability and debugging

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 21 21:44:47 PDT 2006

On July 21, 2006 06:12 am, Sebastian Faulborn wrote:
> >>I would also like to install Valgrind in /tools...
> >>Valgrind, and Lint/Splint, can also be used later to test the rest of our
> >>packages...
>
> I think this would be an excellent idea. However the work to maintain
> 2 seperate books is error-prone.

I didn't mean two books. Maybe something like "Debugging notes" in the book
with commands which are not in a <screen> window, so you would have to go out
of your way to copy/paste it. With something like GCC, I don't expect many
people will be willing to perform a 200+ SBU debugging test... probably less
than 1% of users would be willing. But with the handfull of suid programs in
the base running Valgrind on them would probably take less than half an SBU,
so these could be in a <screen> window for everyone to run.

By the way, the 200+ SBU is for all the checks... assert, fold, gc, gcac,
misc, rtl, rtlflag, runtime, tree, valgrind, not valgrind alone.