--with-pic

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed Jul 19 00:49:23 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 01:14 -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:
> I finally found out what --with-pic is for. From autobook documentation:
>
> ---
> `--with-pic'
> In normal operation, Libtool will build shared libraries from PIC objects and
> static archives from non-PIC objects, except where one or the other is not
> provided by the target host. By specifying `--with-pic' you are asking
> libtool to build static archives from PIC objects, and similarly by
> specifying `--without-pic' you are asking libtool to build shared libraries
> from non-PIC objects.
> libtool will only honour this flag where it will produce a working library,
> otherwise it reverts to the default.

That will change a few things, I imagine.

This seems to be a solo effort on your part, Robert. May I set before
you the warning example of Don Quixote

"Due to an excess of reading his brains dried up and he lost the use of
his reason" :-).

Where is the HLFS development _TEAM_ in this? If there's things people
can usefully do, throw them out to us. Those who know what they're doing
will probably help the effort along.
--
        With Best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.