New stuff

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 18 04:39:04 PDT 2006

Hello. I want to thank all the HLFS users for their patience while waiting for
the new tools and glibc, and for waiting for a -stable release candidate. I'm
on a stay-at-home vacation until July 30th, and I should be able to get the
book updated well by then. I have started editing an offline copy of hlfs-svn
which adds the new toolchain, a new header file that hardcodes GCC specs
which now include -fPIE and -DFORTIFY_SOURCE=2. With the new specs, and a
very small trivial patch for glibc, all the glibc utilities can be compiled
as shared objects and we don't need to build glibc with -no-pie anymore... we
should have a 100% pic system now. I'm also working with the GCC top level
makefile build system and plan to start using it just for Binutils and GCC
for now. I've also adopted the clfs kernel headers. And I think I'll be able
to eliminate the installation of libc-headers and cross compiling. I think it
will work to simply add a few definitions to /tools/share/config.site like
this:

host=$(uname -m)-tools-linux-uclibc
build=$host
target=$host

if you want to build hlfs-uclibc from a glibc system. This isn't cross
compiling but I don't think it will matter, and it makes our temporary tools
much cleaner.

When I get chapter 5 working with gcc-4.1 and glibc-2.4 I'll post a url to the
unfinished book to provide a preview.