Toolchain upgrades

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 3 18:41:08 PDT 2006

I have attached experimental differences to build HLFS with gcc-4.1.1 and
uclibc-20060613. Comments are welcome.

gcc-4.1.1 has a demented check for "__stack_chk_fail in target GNU C library".
Setting gcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes is pretty much the only way to use
uClibc's ssp with gcc-4.1.1; and it doesn't hurt with Glibc either,
especially when installing to /tools.

I like the idea of tossing in a 'make bootstrap' somewhere, either in chapter
5 or 6. Many host systems may be using gcc-3.2 or gcc-3.3, and a proper
bootstrap would help assure the gcc-4.1.1 compiler is compiled correctly.
Doing this in chapter 5 is more traditional, but in chapter 6 a
profiledbootstrap is more convenient.

Also, I noticed binutils-2.16.93 (and binutils-2.17.50.0.2) are more sensitive
to CFLAGS than before.

----