nice(1) level during build

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 3 10:29:39 PDT 2006

On July 3, 2006 09:55 am, Sebastian Faulborn wrote:
> If your system has a load of 8, uses all main memory and swap (!) just by
> running a single application (make bootstrap), then there must be something
> seriously wrong!

I have not attempted to reproduce it, but with nice -n 19 the 'make bootstrap'
didn't cause a repeat of the problem. It could have been a combination of
things which were running at the same time. uClibc and gcc-4.1 don't get
along very well, so I pointed the finger at that.

I think the majority of users build lfs/hlfs on a desktop system while running
a gui/xorg. In these situations running 'make', and './configure', with
'nice' is always a good idea, to keep the gui responsive.

> So I rather prefered to fix the problem rather than setting nice levels.

I agree, but using a nice level controls unexpected problems. If we start
using a lot of gcc options, like -DFORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-all
-Wformat=2 -Wsecurity -Wshadow -Werror -lmudflap, with maybe additional
options like -fwhole-program -combine -fprofile-use, this starts using
considerably more resources to compile and has a higher risk of getting out
of control (while unstable).