building hlfs with jhalfs

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 1 16:25:48 PDT 2006

Jason Stevens wrote:
> George -
>
> I have what I hope isn't a dumb question about jhalfs, which probably
> relies on some knowledge of the HLFS svn repository (which I don't have).
>
> The current published version of HLFS is svn-20060510.  This is what is
> rendered online, etc.  However, jhalfs pulls the development sources
> from svn, at least by default.  I know how to point jhalfs at a
> different book, if I had already checked it out, but I haven't.  It
> turns out that the development sources have been updated recently (at
> the least, coreutils was upgraded 6/29, it looks like changes are
> continuing), and jhalfs doesn't appear to be able to build it from
> scratch (coretils patches for 5.97 from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/coreutils don't match
> the md5 checksum, etc).
>
> I poked around with svn and didn't see any tags in the HLFS tree that
> corresponded with svn-20060510, so I don't see a way (which doesn't mean
> that there isn't one) to check out that version of the book.  So:  is
> there a way to point jhalfs at such a version from the repository, or
> can you tell me the path in the repository to books other than the current?
   How about I give you the md5sum for the patch. It looks like the book
does not match the patch.
<!ENTITY coreutils-suppress_uptime_kill_su-patch-md5
"227d41a6d0f13c31375153eae91e913d">

   Run the script with the config params you have chosen but _do not_
select the auto run of the makefile .. (ie. no -M) The script will fail
but you can manually edit patches.ent in the hlfs-development directory.
   Re-run the script but make sure you _do not_ request a 'cleaning' of
the build directory. (ie. no -R) and you should pick up the coreutils
patch should validate.

   keep me informed.